Board of Management Annual Report 2018/19
The Board of Management is the school committee charged with the day-to-day management of the school. Under the Education Act of 1998 all schools must have a Board of Management and the functions and responsibilities of the Board are laid out in documents published by the Department of Education and Science.
The Board of Management has eight members. The current Board of Management, as formed in September 2015 are as follows;
|Michael Costello||Patron’s Nominee and Chairperson|
|Pat Crowe||School Principal|
|Paula Carroll||Patron’s Nominee|
|Maria Alcazar||Parents’ Nominee|
|Jenny McCarthy||Teachers’ Nominee|
|Enda Martin||Parents’ Nominee|
|John Cradden||Community Representative|
|Sinead Clarke||Community Representative|
The Board of Management met on 10 occasions during the school year 2018/19.
- Policy Reviews
The following policies and school plans were reviewed and amended as necessary;
- Anti-Bullying Policy
- Child Protection Policy
- Child Safeguarding Statement
- Visual Arts
- Substance Abuse
- School Events
It was a busy year in North Kildare Educate Together N.S and some of the events included;
- World Food Day
- Seachtain na Gaeilge
- Music Week
- 2nd Class Musicals- Goldilocks & the Three Bears and Jack & the Beanstalk
- Drumming Workshops
- Winter Wellbeing Show
- Storytelling with Niall de Búrca
- Active Week
- Cycle Safety
- Sports Day
- Science Workshops
- Music Therapy Classes
- Parent Teacher Meetings
Parent Teacher Meetings took place in February.
Many fundraising events were carried out in aid of the school, with much help from the PTA and SRG. The Board wishes to thank all those who fundraised for the school. Some of the events were;
- Sale of a school calendar
- Stationary Cycle
- Christmas Raffle
- Cinema Club
- Cake Sales
- Sponsored Run
- Cash for Clothes
- Book Fair
- After-School Classes
A variety of classes took place after school in North Kildare Educate Together N.S this year. These included;
- Afterschool Care – HOPSCOTCH
- Children’s Ark Religion Classes
- Speech & Drama
- Stretch & Grow
- School Achievements
The school year 2018-19 was another very successful one for the students of North Kildare Educate Together National School. Students represented the school with great success in the following areas;
- FAI Kildare Football Competition
- Futsal Competition
- Credit Union Quiz
- INTEL Mini-Scientist Competition
- Athletics Competition hosted by Celbridge Athletic Club
The school has received awards in the following areas
- Award of Excellence for Science and Maths
- Green Flag
The school took part in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and was highly commended by the organising committee.
- School Tours
The students all enjoyed their school tours immensely. The schedule for the school tours this school year was;
- Junior Infants: Clonfert Pet Farm
- Senior Infants: Dublin Zoo
- 1st Class: Imaginosity
- 2nd Class: Lullymore
- 3rd Class: Castletown House
- 4th Class: Newgrange
- 5th Class: Kilmainham Gaol & Bowling
- 6th Class: Lillyput Adventure Centre
- Outreach Classes: Lullymore
- Parent Teacher Association
The PTA AGM was held in April and welcomed some new members, The PTA consists of;
|Enda Martin||Board of Management Parent’s Nominee|
|Maria Alcazar||Board of Management Parent’s Nominee|
|Orla Potter||Teacher’s Representative|
|Niall Keating||Teacher’s Representative|
The Parent Teacher Association has a bulletin board on the school website and a Facebook page for the information of the school community. The Board of Management would like to extend its thanks to all parents who have helped out with activities organised by the Parent Teacher Association.
- Educate Together News / Ethos
- A fundraiser Dress up day was held for One Day Together in aid of Educate Together.
- Kelly, Lorraine and Liz attended the ethos conference organised by Educate Together in October.
- 6th Class completed their Places of Worship tour.
- In keeping with our ethos, it was decided to incorporate the Rainbow flag and Show Racism the Red Card emblem on our new school jerseys.
- The school raised its Rainbow Flag for the first time in June on a day that was filled with colour and excitement.
Staffing for the school year 2018/19 was as follows;
|Deputy Principal||Jenny McCarthy|
|Special Education Teacher||Lorraine Dunne|
|Special Education Teacher||Aine O’Connell|
|Special Education Teacher||Fiona Kennedy / Audrey Phillips|
|Special Education Teacher||Fiona Knox|
|Support Teacher||Orla Potter|
|Outreach Class – Teacher||Sinéad Gallogly|
|Outreach Class – Teacher||Áine Cleary|
|Junior Infants||Jenny McCarthy and Shane O’Neill|
|Senior Infants||Orlaith McLoughlin/Aoife Hogan and Grace Kilbride|
|First Class||Arlene Higgins and Sharon McCabe|
|Second Class||Niall Keating and Lydia McGuinness Tyrell/Liz Foley|
|Third Class||Cathy Breen|
|Fourth Class||Lisa Sutton|
|Fifth Class||Bearach Ó Cásaide|
|Sixth Class||Kelly Fitzsimons|
|Special Needs Assistant||Sheila Reidy|
|Special Needs Assistant||Betty Mullins|
|Special Needs Assistant||Viv Butler-Rees|
|Special Needs Assistant||Edel Hutchinson|
|Special Needs Assistant||Linda Heraty|
|Special Needs Assistant||Brenda McCrory|
|Special Needs Assistant||Anna Ryan|
|Special Needs Assistant||Kate Jennings|
|Special Needs Assistant||Carol Farrell|
The Board of Management would like to extend its thanks to all the staff for their continued hard work throughout the year.
- Staffing Developments
In November 2018, Kelly Fitzsimons and Orla Potter were appointed to permanent teaching positions on the staff.
In December 2018, Jenny McCarthy was appointed to the post of Deputy Principal.
In June 2019, Niall Keating was appointed to the post of Assistant Principal 1.
- Curricular Developments/Staff Training
- Staff received one more day of training in the Revised Language Curriculum.
- Staff attended seminars provided by a Speech and Language therapist and an Occupational therapist this school year.
- The focus of School Self Evaluation for this school year was in the area of promoting wellbeing among the pupils.
- An indoor and outdoor sensory area has been developed in the school grounds this year.