The Board of Management recognises that child protection and welfare considerations permeate all aspects of school life and must be reflected in all of the school’s policies, practices and activities. Accordingly, in accordance with the requirements of the Department of Education and Skills’ Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools the Board of Management of the North Kildare Educate Together School has agreed the following child protection policy:
1. The Board of Management has adopted and will implement fully and without modification the Department’s Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools as part of this overall child protection policy.
2. The Designated Liaison Person (DLP) is Rita Galvin
3. The Deputy Designated Liaison (Deputy DLP) is Pat Crowe
4. In its policies, practices and activities, the North Kildare Educate Together School will adhere to the following principles of best practice in child protection and welfare;
The school will:
• recognise that the protection and welfare of children is of paramount importance, regardless of all other considerations;
• fully co-operate with the relevant statutory authorities in relation to child protection and welfare matters;
• adopt safe practices to minimise the possibility of harm or accidents happening to children and protect workers from the necessity to take unnecessary risks that may leave themselves open to accusations of abuse or neglect;
• develop a practice of openness with parents and encourage parental involvement in the education of their children; and
• fully respect confidentiality requirements in dealing with child protection matters.
The school will also adhere to the above principles in relation to any pupil with a special vulnerability.
5. The Board has ensured that the necessary policies, protocols or practices as appropriate are in place in respect of each of the following listed:
• Code of Behaviour
• Anti-Bullying Policy
• Pupil Attendance Strategy
• Supervision of Pupils
• Sporting Activities/School Outings
6. This policy has been made available to school personnel and is readily accessible to parents on request. A copy of this policy will be made available to the Department and the patron, if requested.
7. This policy will be reviewed by the Board of Management once in every school year and has most recently been reviewed in the school year 2015-2016.