MOBILE PHONE AND OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES POLICY
This policy is to ensure the appropriate use by pupils of mobile phones and electronic devices on the school premises.
• Mobile phones and electronic devices may be used to conduct bullying campaigns.
• Mobile phones and electronic devices may provide easy access to cameras and the internet giving pupils opportunity to view and disseminate inappropriate images for children in primary school.
• Mobile phones and electronic devices are intrusive and distracting in a school environment.
• Strategies must be put in place to reduce the intrusiveness of mobile phones and electronic devices in a school situation.
Relationship to School Ethos
The use of mobile phones and electronic devices by pupils contravenes the provision of a safe and secure school environment conducive to learning in our primary school.
Internal School Procedures
1. Pupils of the N.K.E.T.S. are not allowed to have or use mobile phones or electronic devices within the school premises (building and grounds) at any time with the exception of those specifically approved by the school for educational purposes.
2. The Board of Management does not accept any responsibility for the loss, damage or theft of any mobile phones or electronic devices on the premises.
3. Mobile phones and electronic devices are not permitted on school trips and during after-school activities on the school premises.
4. Pupils who need to contact home for urgent reasons during school hours may do so through the school secretary using the school landline phone.
5. Any pupil breaking the procedures will have their mobile phone or electronic device confiscated for the following periods:
a. Confiscation will last one week from the day of the offence. The mobile phone or electronic device will be available for collection by the pupil’s parents from the Principal’s office at the end of this week.
b. Any further breach of procedures will result in confiscation for one full month.
c. Repeated breaches of these procedures will be dealt with under the School Code of Behaviour
Roles and Responsibilities
All staff share in the co-ordination and implementation of this policy.
This policy will be reviewed in 2016